Green roll carts are for garbage and are supplied by the city. Blue roll carts are for recyclable materials and can be requested by calling Environmental Services at 843.383.3019.
The City of Hartsville has designated days for pick up of garbage and recyclables once a week. Roll carts should be placed at the curb by 7 a.m. on the day for your area. Backyard garbage pickup is available to the elderly and disabled homeowners with written verification from their doctor when no one in the home is able to assist in the placement of the cart at the curb. The doctor’s explanation should include the name and address of the resident and can be faxed to 843.339.2880.
Please contact 843.383.3019 to report damage to roll carts and recycling bins.
2014 Holiday Garbage & Recycling Pick-Up
Services are provided year-round from Monday to Friday, excepting changed schedules before or after a holiday. Changed days are as follows:
- New Year’s Day: Wed., Jan. 1 moved to Thurs., Jan. 2
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day: Mon., Jan. 20 moved to Tues., Jan. 21
- Memorial Day: Mon., May 26 moved to Tues., May 27
- Independence Day: Fri., July 4 moved to Thurs., July 3
- Labor Day: Mon., Sept. 1 moved to Tues., Sept. 2
- Thanksgiving Day: Thurs., Nov. 27 moved to Wed., Nov. 26
- Day After Thanksgiving: Fri., Nov. 28 moved to Mon., Dec. 1
- Christmas Eve: Wed. Dec. 24 moved to Mon. Dec. 22
- Christmas Day: Thurs., Dec. 25 moved to Tue., Dec. 23
- Day After Christmas: Fri., Dec. 26 moved to Mon., Dec. 29
Box springs, mattresses, chairs and tables, washers, dryers, freezers, and similar metal items are not to be set out for regular pickup. Call Environmental Services at 383-3019 for a pickup schedule.
South Carolina law prohibits placing computers, computer monitors, printers or televisions in the garbage. These items may be taken to any Darlington County Recycling Center for disposal, or may be picked up by Environmental Services for a fee. Call (843) 383-3019 for pricing and scheduling.
Sonoco Recycling, a unit of Sonoco, is a sponsor of the City of Hartsville’s recycling program. The company collects over 3 million tons of material each year.
Bins and roll carts are emptied at the curb once a week on the same day as garbage.
Items which may be recycled in the City of Hartsville include:
- Glass: jars, bottles and CFM light bulbs
- Papers: newspapers and inserts, magazines, cardboard, box board, white and colored office paper, junk mail and phone books
- Metals: Steel and aluminum cans and lids
- Plastics: bottles, jugs and jars, medicine bottles, washing detergent bottles, laundry baskets, plastic toys, yogurt cups, margarine/butter tubs, buckets and lawn furniture
Items which cannot be recycled include:
- Paper: waxed boxes, poly-coated cartons, tissue paper or paper plates/cups
- Plastics: bags, egg cartons or any item without a screw top or bottle shape
- Others: Styrofoam, aerosol cans, glass dishes, windows, aluminum foil, pie pans
Collection routes typically run every 7 to 10 business days, except during leaf season (December – February). Limbs should be no more than 3 inches in diameter and 6 feet in length. Yard waste must be kept separate from other trash and placed at the resident’s or business’ front property line. Raked leaves can also be placed at the front property line in one pile for collection, but must be separate from other types of yard debris. Bricks, rocks, concrete, dirt and construction material cannot be collected. Yard debris is not to be placed in or on any storm drain, gutter, street or sidewalk.
Guidelines and current scheduling may be obtained by calling 843.383.3019.