Green roll carts are for garbage and are supplied by the city. Blue roll carts are for recyclable materials and can be requested by calling Environmental Services at 843.383.3019.
The City of Hartsville has designated days for pick up of garbage and recyclables once a week. Roll carts should be placed at the curb by 7 a.m. on the day for your area. Backyard garbage pickup is available to the elderly and disabled homeowners with written verification from their doctor when no one in the home is able to assist in the placement of the cart at the curb. The doctor’s explanation should include the name and address of the resident and can be faxed to 843.339.2880.
Please contact 843.383.3019 to report damage to roll carts and recycling bins.
Sonoco Recycling, a unit of Sonoco, is a sponsor of the City of Hartsville’s recycling program. The company collects over 3 million tons of material each year.
Bins and roll carts are emptied at the curb once a week on the same day as garbage.
Items which may be recycled in the City of Hartsville include:
- Mixed paper: office paper, newspapers and inserts, magazines, catalogs, junk mail, phone books
- Empty milk and juice cartons
- Clean, dry cardboard, corrugated, chipboard, pizza boxes (no cardboard lined with wax)
- Clean plastic containers and attached lids #1 – #7 (plastic furniture and plastic children’s toys accepted, no plastic bags or wrap, loose lids or Styrofoam)
- Clean aluminum and steel cans and attached lids (no other metals)
- Clean glass bottles, jugs and jars with lids removed (no other glass or ceramic items)
2015 Holiday Garbage & Recycling Pick-Up
Services are provided year-round from Monday to Friday, excepting changed schedules before or after a holiday. Changed days are as follows:
- New Year’s Day: Thurs., Jan. 1 moved to Fri., Jan. 2
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day: Mon., Jan. 19 moved to Tues., Jan. 20
- Memorial Day: Mon., May 25 moved to Tues., May 26
- Independence Day Weekend: Fri., July 3 moved to Thurs., July 2
- Labor Day: Mon., Sept. 7 moved to Tues., Sept. 8
- Thanksgiving Day: Thurs., Nov. 26 moved to Wed., Nov. 25
- Friday After Thanksgiving: Fri., Nov. 27 moved to Mon., Nov. 30
- Christmas Eve: Thurs. Dec. 24 moved to Tues. Dec. 22
- Christmas Day: Fri., Dec. 25 moved to Wed., Dec. 23
- Monday After Christmas: Mon., Dec. 28 moved to Tues., Dec. 29
Collection routes typically run every 7 to 10 business days, except during leaf season (December – February). Limbs should be no more than 3 inches in diameter and 6 feet in length. Yard waste must be kept separate from other trash and placed at the resident’s or business’ front property line. Raked leaves can also be placed at the front property line in one pile for collection, but must be separate from other types of yard debris. Bricks, rocks, concrete, dirt and construction material cannot be collected. Yard debris is not to be placed in or on any storm drain, gutter, street or sidewalk.
Guidelines and current scheduling may be obtained by calling 843.383.3019.
Box springs, mattresses, chairs and tables, washers, dryers, freezers, and similar metal items are not to be set out for regular pickup. Call Environmental Services at 383-3019 for a pickup schedule.
Computers, monitors, printers and televisions cannot be placed in the garbage for collection. These items may be taken to any Darlington County Recycling Center for disposal, or may be picked up by Environmental Services for a fee. Call 843.383.3019 for pricing and scheduling. Other small household items such as toasters, microwaves, etc. may be placed in the garbage for disposal.